About the Event
Are you a pro at puzzles? A god at googling? A wizard on Wikipedia? When the film ‘National Treasure’ came out, did you dream about solving riddles alongside Nicolas Cage (*)? Have you ever watched The Amazing Race on TV and thought “That looks like so much fun but this couch is sooooooo comfortable right now”? Well, do we have an event for you.
The 2020 CCC Amazing Race (Cyberspace Edition) is a series of mental challenges designed for teams of four to test each individual’s problem-solving skills and the group’s ability to follow instructions and work together. All without the running and climbing and, most importantly, sweating, that you see on TV.
Teams will race around the internet, finding clues on different websites that will help you solve a series of puzzles or challenges. Each puzzle solved or challenge completed leads you to another one until it culminates in one final answer. Unlock that final answer first and your team could be crowned Champions and win ONE MILLION....ummm....likes from the organizers and your fellow contestants.
How it works:
Grab your team of four and race around the world (virtually)! You will be tasked with solving puzzles, the answers to which will be coordinates to a mystery location somewhere on the planet. You'll plug those coordinates into Google Maps, switch to Street View, and answer a question based on what you see!
For those of you who are interested, the puzzles will remain available until October 9th, 2020:
Opening Puzzle: bit.ly/CCC_2020_AR_PZ0
1) Element-ary, My Dear Watson: bit.ly/CCC_2020_AR_PZ1
2) A Challenge of Biblical Proportions: bit.ly/CCC_2020_AR_PZ2
3) When in Rome: bit.ly/CCC_2020_AR_PZGAMMA
4) YouTube Safari: bit.ly/CCC_2020_AR_PZFORE
5) Monopoly - TMI: bit.ly/CCC_2020_AR_PZCINQ
6) Art-rithmetic: bit.ly/CCC_2020_AR_PZIMSOSIXY
7) Someone Has Some Cross Words For You (Part One/Two): bit.ly/CCC_2020_AR_PZLUCKY7S
Sprint to the Finish: bit.ly/CCC_2020__AR_PZEND
*Nicolas Cage not included
Zoom to Start, Numerous Sites
All employees from registered companies Canada-wide.
Maximum of 4 players per team
Wednesday, September 23rd at Noon
Join the CCC Discord Server. The "Amazing Race" Voice Channel is where the CCC Staff will be available to answer any questions.
Access to the internet. Access to our Discord Server. All participants must check in on the day of the event via our Discord Server. Access to Zoom meeting (link will be sent prior to event)
Amazing Race Begins26September 20201:00 pm (MDT)
Things to keep in mind:
1) None of the websites you need to access will require payment or registration.
2) No downloading of any apps is required.
3) You need to be able to HEAR clues in an mp3 format (click here to test: bit.ly/CCC_AR_AUDIOTEST)
4) You will also need to be able to open Google Forms. Check your firewall! (There is a practice/test form below)
Besides making sure you have a keen eye and a quick mind, if you don’t already know how to do the following, you *may* (and when we say ‘may’ we mean you definitely should) want to:
1) Practice your sleuthing skills on your favourite search engine (including how to do a reverse image search)
2) Familiarize yourself with the Street View function on Google Maps and learn how to access versions of Street View from years other than the current one
3) Get some experience on YouTube
4) Learn how to navigate around Wikipedia
5) Attend a meeting on Zoom (It might also help you if someone knows how to share their screen using a platform like Zoom or Microsoft Teams)
6) Figure out a way to efficiently communicate with your teammates (texting, Skype, Discord, Zoom, etc.)
Other things that may make your life easier on Race Day:
- Pencil/pen and paper
- Access to a printer
- A calculator (for those who don't trust their elementary school level math skills)
Ready for a bit of practice? Try entering this coordinate (51.037254, -114.053726) in Google Maps (Pro Tip: Pay attention to any periods, commas or minus signs!) hit return/enter, switch to Street View and look around so that you can answer this question:
“What word can be found between "BIT-" and "BUFFALO" on the mural to the west?”
Click on the link (bit.ly/CCC_AR_PREMAIL_TEST) and enter your answer on the Google Form to check if you’re right.
Update - Time Penalties for Race Hints:
We would like everyone to have a chance to attempt all of the challenges in today’s race. However, if you find yourself hopelessly stuck, reach out to us on Discord and we can help. Time penalties will be assessed for any hints offered as follows:
1) Providing info as to how many numbers in your coordinate are incorrect (+10 min)
2) Providing info as to WHICH numbers in your coordinate are incorrect (+20 min)
3) Providing the answer to a specific component of the puzzle (+30 min)
4) Providing the answer to the keyword to any puzzle (+45 min)
Please note: Teams MUST spend at least 15 minutes on a challenge before they can ask for hints. If they choose to ask for help before they’ve spent that amount of time on a challenge, the 15 minutes will be added to the penalty.